Wednesday, June 22, 2011

It's in the details

So, I've been putting off this post for some reason.  I think because it's not just commenting on some random building, designed by some architecture firm I know nothing about.  This building is special because I know how hard the owner (my cousin) labored for years.  I'm talking years people.  But it has paid off- the house is completed and looks great.  Keeping an environmentally-friendly point of view, this efficient bungalow-style home offers a low carbon footprint through the use of several tactics.  I will discuss as we go... I hope I do the home justice (but doubtful...it's really something you need to see.)


Beyond the green aspects of the home, the design choices make the home that much more beautiful and worthy of appreciation.  I tried to play it cool, you know, not stand there with that awestruck look on my face like a kid in a candy store.  I love the popped out window with the slatted wood facing.


All of the cabinetry has the original floor boards on the facing, which my cousin sanded down and refinished.  This is the island where you can see he included some details (like a built-in shelf...)


And maybe the most meaningful detail- a cut-out in one of the slats, where they insert little drawings, pictures, etc.  While I was there, it was a sweet picture from their wedding in Costa Rica:



The original ceiling was kept in tact and left pretty much untouched (with the exception of a support beam).

These doors were handmade from existing wood from the house and allow an open-air feel from the living room into the backyard/patio area when opened.


Aren't they beautiful when the sunset hits them?


Back to the inside- the walls are painted with chalkboard paint, acting as a big sticky-note, or a place to doodle.


Built-in bench outside


Herb garden in a tub.  I need one of these.


This is their "shed."  I hope my shed looks this way one day, that's all I can say.  Or even better, I hope my shed has the flat-screen TV that their "shed" has.  Inside there is a wall of built-in bookshelves and a loft that you have to climb up into, with just enough room for a double bed and a built-in shelf.


I like tall, narrow windows.


From the inside


 
So that is the end of the Portland building tour.  I ended with this one because it means the most.  It was a labor of love.  I'm so glad I finally got to see it in person and visit with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment