Thursday, December 2, 2010

Courtyard Construction



So, this was my first attempt at making a video to display on the blog. I hit a couple of bumps along the way. My intention was to show you how I make my models by filming the process from start to finish. I had to film it in two parts, but somehow the first half did not transfer onto my computer (and that was the cooler half, darn it!) So, here is the second half of my construction on an 1/8 inch model for a space we were asked to design.

The space is a courtyard in the Pollak building (where I have all of my classes), or should I say below the Pollak building? Well, the building is a bit different than most. The first floor is actually outside with these large columns holding up the second-fifth floors above. The building is shaped like a rectangular doughnut, so to speak. I'll be sure to include some pictures in my next post! Anyway, the courtyard is in the middle of the first floor and we were to design a space that could accommodate 400+ people, but also provide a space for a small class to meet.

It may be hard to picture the space in this model because of its scaled down size, however, if I can give you a frame of reference it may help. The white piece, which represents a curved wall (yikes! for builders...) is 12 feet tall.

Cheers!

4 comments: