Monday, January 10, 2011

Painting

 Hello all!  I thought I'd share with you one of the projects I completed over my break from school (I'm still on break and I'm dying of boredom!)  A close freind of mine has always been really supportive of my work and she really liked a watercolor that I did earlier in the summer.  (You can find it here )  Her boyfriend contacted me and asked to have the watercolor (was was about 6" x 4") blown up (I'm talking 3 feet by 2 1/2 feet!) for her for Christmas.  It was my FIRST purchased work of original art!  Talk about E-X-C-I-T-I-N-G!

Instead of enlarging the watercolor, I chose to try and get a similar effect with acrylic paint.  Because of the large size, acrylic just made more sense.  The variation that you can achieve with watercolors is hard to replicate with an opaque paint, so instead of getting that watery "see-through" look, I tried to use alor of blending of colors to create some variation within the layers. 

Okay, enough jibber jabber, you want to see the final piece?  Here is the process and the result!  I'll try to snap a picture of it once it is up on the wall in her place so you can get an idea of size!












5 comments:

  1. Beautiful piece Melinda! Liz and I went to an art show in October in hopes of stumbling upon an interesting piece for our houses...nothing called either of our names. Thanks to you, Liz can now end her search. Really...beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much girl! I'm pumped to see it in her room :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Erik! We gotta get together soon and catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!LOVE to see how it progressed!! I absolutely love it and am going to get my dad to come up and hang it soon (I asked over the weekend) :)

    ReplyDelete