Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Holiday Projects

 Somewhere in all of my Christmas shopping I got the idea to make a coatrack.  Well, really it started when I was at a thrift store looking for a dresser and stumbled upon some really cool wooden, paneled shutters.  So I bought them all (3, that is).  I wanted to attach old doorknobs and use it to hang coats or jewelry or framed pictures.  The problem was- where to get the vintage doorknobs?

I snagged those beauties off ebay.  Yep, that's right ebay.  They were pretty dirty, but nothing a some good elbow grease couldn't cure.  Aren't they gorgeous?!  They are really heavy, white porcelain.

And below is one of the panels I bought at the thrift store (only $8 each!).


So, I decided I would try painting two of them and leaving the third in all its wood glory.  I painted two of them blue and distressed each with a little sanding after the paint:


Of course, I couldn't forget to attach some hooks to the back first so I would have a way to hang these bad boys! 


And then, I attached the cleaned-up doorknobs:



On the second one, I decided to update the look a little bit and use hooks I found at my local hardware store.  I like how the black contrasts with the blue.


And that's just ONE of my holiday break endeavors.  Stay tuned to see a painting I did for a friend.

6 comments:

  1. Cute, they turned out so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm what about the THIRD ONE??? i'm on the edge of my seat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. loves!! i want to make a shutter headboard... you'll have to come up to lanc b/c i'm thinking we could do some greaaaaat deal hunting with the amish shops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh girl, I could probably do some damage in amish country haha.... we'll have to schedule it soon :) I'm free! Plus I'd love to help with the shutter headboard.

    Kristin- I haven't finished the 3rd one, but I'll post asap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww my shutter looks so great on my wall! Fantastic job lady

    ReplyDelete