Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Ecotrust Building

The Ecotrust building in Portland is a renovated wold brick building with beautiful wooden beams.  The actual name for the building is the Jean Vollum Natural Capital Center, built in 1895-ish and renovated in 2001.  Ecotrust is an organization that works to support sustainability in the Pacific Northwest.  All of the companies that have their businesses located within this building are environmentally-minded.  In fact, this was the first building in the country to receive a GOLD LEED certification! 

Here are some of the pictures!

The upstairs floor is open to below over this railing:


Skylights

Private offices


Bullwinkle
"The prominently displayed moose head in the lobby is intended as a non-ironic reminder that subsistence hunters still live in the world. (Like in Milwaukie.)  The moose was gunned down at about the same time this structure was originally built." -Bart King, An Architectural Guide to Portland 


The downstairs floor (I tried to sketch this...but was way out of practice- I'll post sketches later)


Patagonia is one of the companies in the building
I love the original flooring.  The planks are really wide.


Outside of the building from the back
The steel towers serve two purposes- structural support and access to the green roof on the west side of the building where there also happens to be beautiful views.  (I couldn't figure out how to get up there. :( )


Map I found of all the major rivers in Oregon.  Right up my alley.


East Exterior of the building- stucco and brick facade



I'm sorry I didn't post yesterday or Monday.  I am working from Charlottesville and had planned to do a bunch of posts from here, but I left my notes, sketches and my favorite new book (The Architecture of Portland- I snagged from Powell's) in Richmond.  I will update this post at a later date with a little more information on the history of the building itself.

1 comment: