Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Connection "cube"



So, according to last week's post, I owe you all a few pictures of one of the products that came out of our little 128 piece hunt. Our task was to choose 8 items (one from each grouping we made based on similarities) and construct a connecting device that housed all 8 items, but was 2x2x2. So, basically, some kind of cube-like shape. However, the construction must refelct the 8 indivicual pieces and respond to their form. Here is part of my first stab at the task (half of it became lost to the basswood gods before I got a chance to take a picture of it):
I was trying to create a system of order with the slats cut into the wood base. I used the slats to fit vertical pieces that were cut to "mold" around the objects that I had. Successful in some areas, but I needed to explore more and become more direct in my choice of placement for the chipboard pieces. So, on to my second attempt...
The above attempt tried to react to the function of each piece. For instance, the key fits into a keyhole, the boot fits into a footprint, the screw screws into an exact hole, etc. Succesful: reacting to the objects. Unsuccessful: Cube shape, creating a language for construction (aka using the same methods for constructing the entire thing, whereas here, it's kind of a mis-match of slats, beams and horizontal pieces...heck there's even a dowel in there!) So, onto my third attempt:




While this one starts to create a language (the vertical pieces running along the right side and top), it falls short a bit in execution. The circular pieces feel out of place and the use of dowels could be better integrated.
You may ask yourself, "Why the heck are they having her do that in Interior Design school?" and I would tell you I asked myself the same thing at the beginning of the project (as I do with most projects we've done this year.) In the end, I realize this wasn't about the objects or how it looked, it was about creating a cohesive method of building. It was about finding construction methods that could inform further designs. It was about being selective, editing, and combining different things with something in common.
What I'm finding as I near the end of my first semester is that through these projects, I have started building up an arsenal of tricks, so to speak. Each time we are designed a new project, there are so many different ways you can approach it. By exploring something different each time, I'm compiling a bank from which to pull in future assignments.
Stay tuned! I have some pretty cool stuff coming up! I'll try to post more, but the last few weeks of the semester are going to be pretty crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment