Monday, October 11, 2010

Fallingwater


Recently, we had the opportunity to travel to Fallingwater in Pennsylvania. Fallingwater is the famous Frank Lloyd Wright home, known for its horizontal lines, attention to detail and seemless blending into its surroundings. It was truly a great house. I guess the 2:45am wake up call was worth the visit! (We left at 4am on a friday and got home around midnight that same night.)

The house is located in the middle of the woods and with my Bio background, I couldn't help but notice the grogeous trees and this one popped out at me!




This picture shows the walk to the carport with these overhead beams:



When I said attention to detail I meant it! Check out how the structure accomodates the nature around it!





Here is a side view of the house. You can notice all the horizontal lines he uses and most of the house is made out of a local material: Potsville Sandstone (that's the linear stone on the sides of the house- also used as the flooring).





Wright used Cantilevers to "float" spaces over the water:










We ended our short visit to Fallingwater and headed over to another house Wright designed named Kentuck Knob. This house was much smaller, but the details were still there.
Here is Frank Lloyd Wright's Signature (on very few of his homes...)



View of Kentuck Knob



Skylights along the porch taht runs the length of the house:








So there you have it! I did some sketches at fallingwater that I'll try to put up soon! I have lots to report because I've been so busy lately (hence why the blog hasn't been updated in a little bit!) Stay tuned :)

4 comments:

  1. such a fantastic trip... I love the photos! you captured some of my favorite elements at those two homes. can't wait to see your sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got to see one of Wright's best work. McQ and I saw it during our 3rd year in architecture at VT. Did you happen to see the Fallingwater visitor center? My firm did the design renovation.

    Are you still going to Europe? Mike and I will need to hook you up with some great building and places to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The visitor center was great! I took alot of pictures of that too because I liked how it was so open to the environment. Which firm did you work for when you were in Richmond?

    I am pretty sure I am going to go to Europe- we got some more details recently. I gotta scrape some money up, but I think it's a great opportunity to expand my knowledge of design as well as improve my sketching skills.

    The program is 6 weeks and we go through Italy, Switzerland and Germany- let me know some of your favorite spots. I need to call McQ soon anyway because he's going to help me come up with a research idea for one of my classes- I'll make sure to ask him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you got to see the Fallingwater Visitor Center. My current firm did that project. It was done out of our Wilkes-Barre, PA office.

    I worked for Cox & Associates when I lived in Richmond. I was lucky to just get an architecture job after I graduated. It's a small firm and we did mostly Colonial type buildings. Not my taste, but I learned a lot from working there. Bohlin Cywinski Jackson (BCJ) is a totally different kind of firm. You should check out our website (www.bcj.com) and we also have a Facebook page and iphone app.

    I don't know how much free time you'll have in Europe, but I will try to compile a list of interesting buildings and places to see. When will you be going? I may have an opportunity to go to Switzerland in January for a week to look at stone we are using for one of my current projects.

    You should definitely talk to McQ about Europe. He may know more than me. I didn't do the architecture Europe program when I was at VT.

    Hope everything works out for you to go to Europe. I think it would be a great opportunity and experience!

    ReplyDelete